High School & Advanced
Middle School Musicians
Ages 12 – 17
Prerequisite: 18 months instruction
July 16– July 21
July 23 – July 28
Stay on campus with meal plan included or commute from off-campus
- Classes and ensembles tailored to your experience and knowledge
- Classes led by world-class jazz artists and educators
- Small combo, one-on-a-part improvisation and performance
- Instrument specific and vocal master classes
- Jazz theory and musicianship classes
- Free admission to nightly Stanford Jazz Festival concerts
- Faculty jams at CoHo
- One private lesson for each student
- Fun social activities and sports
- Showcase performance and family dinner on Friday at Stanford University
Tuition: $1,475 per week
Housing and meals: $990 per week
azz Camp immerses participants in a fun, focused, and supportive environment. The program offers instrumentalists and vocalists an opportunity play with motivated peers and study with a prestigious faculty of professional musicians and educators.
Our highly-structured curriculum is tailored to the needs and level of each individual student. Improving your improvisation is the goal, and in every class and rehearsal, faculty will help you to hear the sounds of jazz, understand what those sounds are, and play them when you want to. Get ready to play the best jazz of your life.
Families and friends of Jazz Camp students are invited to attend the free Jazz Camp Showcase, held on Friday of each week of Jazz Camp. Tickets for the pre-concert Friends and Family Dinner will be available for purchase online. Families and friends are also invited to purchase tickets to nightly Stanford Jazz Festival concerts.
Stanford Jazz Workshop is an excellent atmosphere where the kids could interact with the professionals.
We were the very fortunate recipients of generous financial aid, without which our son could not have attended. This was the first time he went to a music camp, and we are all so happy he did. Thank you!
Best experience imaginable. It far exceeded our expectations. Our daughter can’t wait for next year.
Thank you for offering this program, and helping my daughter grow in her confidence and her music abilities.
First thing he said when he got home was he wants to go back next summer and he wish he could go for two weeks next year.
Stanford Jazz Workshop is an amazing and one-of-a-kind program
Stanford Jazz Workshop has inspired our girls to pursue their music through jazz bands, orchestra, pep bands, chamber groups, and musical theater. Thank you so much.
Jazz Camp Classes and Activities:
- Jazz theory – focuses on harmony, song forms, scales, and advanced concepts
- Musicianship – focuses on ear training and rhythm exercises
- Masterclass – virtuoso faculty members teach advanced techniques
- Special presentations and demonstrations – SJW faculty relate their experiences as leading artists in jazz, perform live demonstrations, and answer questions about what it’s like to study, perform, compose, and live a life in jazz
- Small ensembles / combos – daily rehearsals in small combos directed by faculty artists
- Private lessons – every student receives a private lesson with SJW faculty
- Jam sessions – fun, optional playing sessions with other students
- Afternoon free time – relax, practice or take part in the talent show, dorm dance, ice cream social, sports, arts and crafts, and jam sessions.