Stanford Jazz Workshop (SJW) seeks a full time Development Manager who will report to the Director of Development on a wide range of fund development activities. Primary responsibilities include executing foundation and corporate grants and sponsorship proposals, reports and research; annual membership campaigns and appeals; donor communications; stewardship activities; database management; prospect research and donor event logistics.
SJW’s fund development focus is primarily on generating support for the organization’s acclaimed jazz education programs, but is also responsible for attracting sponsors for SJW’s annual Stanford Jazz Festival. The Development Manager will play an integral leadership role in meeting, and hopefully exceeding, annual fund development goals for the agency.
- Develop and execute an annual plan to pursue and increase institutional support from leading foundations and corporations, NEA and other sources that may be prime opportunities for SJW.
- Create and execute a corporate sponsorship program for SJW’s Jazz Festival and year-round educational programs and events
- Under the leadership of the Development Director, write and submit letters of inquiry, grant proposals, and corresponding grant reports to major foundations and other institutional funders, and keep up to date on new opportunities as they may arise by anticipating well in advance of submission deadlines.
- Develop, maintains and proactively manage a detailed calendar of fundraising campaign deadlines, production of collateral, mailings, and grant submissions and reports throughout the year.
- Coordinate annual fundraising membership/appeals, including production of attractive and compelling fundraising collateral.
- Coordinate donor events, including the organization’s ongoing live-music house parties, Festival post-concert receptions, and other SJW fundraising events.
- Assist with VIP seating and Inner Circle ticket purchases for the Stanford Jazz Festival in collaboration with marketing colleagues.
- Manage donor and contribution data and recordkeeping in SJW’s proprietary FileMaker Pro database; in time, assist with the evaluation of a potential replacement database.
- Ensure that all gifts are properly and promptly acknowledged, including coordinating and supporting personal touches with leading donors and prospects.
- Research individual donor and corporate/foundation prospects to help support leadership’s efforts to cultivate and solicit support from key individuals and organizations in their respective social/personal circles.
- Manage all fundraising-related aspects of the SJW website and social media, including institutional and individual donor recognition, Board listings, online donation page, and all “Support” pages.
- Participate in special “all hands on deck” events to support SJW staff during the summer season, i.e. registration day
- Provide support to SJW’s Development Director, Artistic & Executive Director and Board of Directors as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of three years experience in fund development role of a nonprofit organization.
- BA or BS degree
- Commitment to Stanford Jazz Workshop’s mission.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including preparation and delivery of presentations and solicitations to individuals and institutions (emphasis on major gifts, foundation program directors, and corporate sponsors).
- Experience with current fundraising best practices and strategic implementation; knowledge of and commitment to the highest standards of professional and ethical conduct.
- Highly motivated, optimistic and self-directed.
- Ability to work well independently and collaboratively with colleagues, and with groups that may include students.
- Ability to prioritize and maintain multiple requests and deadlines while achieving defined goals; excellent time manager.
- Able to define and achieve ambitious goals in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced, creative, and goal-focused environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills and confidence to comfortably interact with high net worth individuals, foundation representatives and corporate allies.
- Willingness to work both in San Francisco and at SJW’s summer operations on the campus of Stanford University
- Strong attention to detail. Computer experience with Microsoft Office and donor/CRM databases.
- Ability to lift 35 pounds; current, valid CA driver’s license, and ability to drive a car, as required
Salary and Benefits
- Competitive salary, depending upon professional experience and skills
- Employer contribution to health coverage
- Employer matching 403(b) plan
- Generous vacation and holiday schedule
Please send your résumé and a cover letter describing your interest in the position to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Development Manager” in the email subject. Applications will be reviewed as received. The search will remain open until the position is filled. No phone calls please. Stanford Jazz Workshop is an equal opportunity employer.
Stanford Jazz Workshop
P.O. Box 20454
Stanford, CA 94309
Please email inquires about performing at the Stanford Jazz Festival to email@example.com.