Job title: Merchandise Sales Associate
Reports to: SJW Front of House Manager
Status: Part-Time Seasonal Employee
The Merchandise Sales Associate provides merchandise sales services for the 2017 Stanford Jazz Workshop & Festival Events. This part-time seasonal position will begin in mid-June and continue through August 5. The work schedule will vary and will involve primarily weekend and evening work. The schedule dates and concert start times are indicated here: https://stanfordjazz.org/stanford-jazz-festival-2017/
The Merchandise Sales Associate is responsible for managing sales of all festival merchandise and providing excellent service to patrons through prompt and courteous service. The ideal candidate will need to be able to complete transactions efficiently and accurately in a chaotic/fast-paced environment using Square/iPad (no cash sales).
Merchandise is sold at shows and Jazz Camp/Institute events held at Dinkelspiel Auditorium and Campbell Recital Hall, which are both located near the Braun Music Center, Stanford University.
Experience in working in a fast-paced sales environment. This position requires an individual who is service-oriented, organized, highly self-motivated, with at least 1 year of customer service and sales experience, preferably in a festival type setting. The Merchandise Sales Associate has the following attributes:
- High school education or equivalent preferred
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Is able to accurately process credit and debit card transactions
- Follows detailed instruction effectively
- Capable of managing multiple requests at once while remaining focused, positive, actively engaged with patrons in a fast-moving environment
- Committed to the highest standards of personal and professional conduct, at all times, which includes honesty, accuracy, accountability and transparency.
- Works well independently and with others
- Able to lift 35 pounds
- Available to work mostly nights and weekends
- Must be able to provide evidence of eligibility to work in the United States (candidates will be asked to complete a Form I-9)
- A background in music and/or appreciation for jazz in particular
- Familiarity and/or experience with Stanford Jazz Workshop’s programs and faculty.
- Involvement at music summer camp
- Experience in sales at music festivals
- Consignment sales experience
- Report to the Front of House Manager, who will assign and coordinate your specific duties and schedule
- Determining with the Front of House Manager the time required to load-in & load-out
- Use of Square and iPad to complete credit and debit card payments
- Sell books, t-shirts, hats and artist’s merchandise such as CDs to SJW participants, members and Stanford Jazz Festival guests.
- Load-in and load-out of merchandise
- Preseason and postseason inventory of SJW items
- Produce detailed and accurate sales reports
- Monitor and communicate arising needs to supervisor
- Work 3-4 hour shifts for Festival Concerts including load-in & load-out
- Work double shift on Jazz Camp/Institute Registration and Early Bird Concert days
- Submit timesheets indicating dates that merchandise sales services were performed
Compensation is hourly at $14/hour.
Stanford Jazz Workshop
Stanford Jazz Workshop is a 45-year-old independent nonprofit organization dedicated to the perpetuation of jazz music through educational programs and concerts of the highest artistic quality. SJW’s mission is to create an environment that is conducive to learning, experiencing, and appreciating jazz — a community created by bringing the best performers and teachers of jazz together with listeners and students of all ages, abilities and backgrounds. For more information, please see http://stanfordjazz.org.
Please submit a cover letter specifying your interest and qualifying experience along with a current resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, before 5pm, Friday May 26th, 2017. Include “Merchandise Salesperson – (Your Full Name)” on the subject line of your email.