How to Prepare
A Checklist for All Camp Participants
You’ll get the most out of your experience at SJW if you practice every day, year-round. At a minimum, spend time playing your instrument or singing each day, starting four to six weeks before camp. Specifically, you can prepare for SJW by spending time:
- Warming up
- Reviewing and practicing scales and arpeggios
- Developing tone and endurance with long tones, flexibility studies and technical etudes.
- Playing jazz songs and compositions
- Learning music by ear by playing along with recordings
- Reviewing what you know about jazz music theory and harmony
You’ll be playing a lot at Jazz Camp, and if your endurance, flexibility and technique are as good as possible, you’ll be able to get the most out of the Jazz Camp experience.