What to Bring
Updated: December 12, 2022
- An instrument with a current identification tag (or arrange to rent an instrument by June 15). Drum kits, amplifiers, and pianos/keyboards will be provided. Drummers may bring their own cymbals or use the ones provided by SJW.
- Extra reeds, strings, rosin, valve oil, slide cream, tuning slide grease, cork grease, drum sticks, brushes, or other instrument supplies.
- A padlock. Participants who play smaller instruments (woodwinds, brass, guitars, etc.) are encouraged to bring locks so they can use lockers in Braun Music Center. A supervised small instrument storage room is the most convenient way to store your instrument safely, but individual lockers are also available. Participants with large instruments such as basses and drums do not need lockers since those instruments are stored in Braun Rehearsal Hall.
- Note pad, music paper, pens, and pencils.
- Giant Steps Day Camp participants can choose the lunch option when they register. Without the lunch option, participants should bring lunch.
- For all other programs, bring lunch or money for lunch; prices range from $10 – $20 per meal at Tresidder Union. The most common and closest eateries are: Coho, Treehouse, and Union Square Food Court.
- Casual clothing suitable for warm days and cool nights. There will be a participant performance for which you may want to bring something a little nicer.
- Spending money: $60–$80 per week for books, t-shirts, CDs, snacks, etc.
- Alarm clock.
- Small fan (if desired; note that dorms are not air conditioned).
- Toiletries (shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste, sunscreen, etc.).
Sheets, towels, a blanket, and a pillow will be provided.
Some supplies such as locks may be purchased at the Tresidder Express store (located across the courtyard from Treehouse in Tresidder Student Union) or Stanford Bookstore (located next to the post office).
The weather during the summer is usually warm and dry, although the nights may cool off a bit. Dress is casual at SJW, and shorts and T-shirts are acceptable. For the Student Showcase concert, you may want to bring something a little nicer, such as a polo shirt and khaki pants, or a summer dress or skirt.
Minor dorm residents will receive a meal card, which can be used to purchase all meals. Commuter participants should bring their lunch or purchase it on campus; prices for lunch at Tresidder Student Union typically range from $10 – $20. All participants may wish to bring an additional $60-$80 to purchase books, jazz recordings, snacks, souvenirs, or other supplies.
The Stanford Federal Credit Union, Bank of America, and Wells Fargo Bank are located at Tresidder Memorial Union. ATM machines connected to the STAR, PLUS, CIRRUS, MC, and VISA systems are also available.