Our camps are designed to let you concentrate, explore and flourish as a developing jazz musician.
High School Vocalists
Prerequisite: 12 months instruction
Audition for placement only
July 12 – 17 or July 19 – 24, 2020
Stanford University Campus
campus housing with meal plan available,
or commute from off-campus
- Tailored to experience and ability
- Led by world-class jazz artists and educators
- Basic Repertoire, improvisation and voice key identification
- Phrasing, improvisation and interpretation
- Understanding charts, arranging, band communication
- Basic vocal and microphone technique with daily extended combo rehearsals
$1,445 for returning students if enrolled by March 1, 2020.
Housing and meals: $990 per week
Jazz Camp Vocal Program
Fun introduction to jazz singing, with a professional piano trio. 12–17 years of age. The emphasis is split between ensemble jazz and solo jazz. Singing fundamentals will be taught and emphasized.
Jazz Camp Vocal Program Classes and Activities:
- Jazz theory – focuses on harmony, song forms, scales, and advanced concepts
- Musicianship – focuses on ear training and rhythm exercises
- Masterclass – virtuoso faculty members teach advanced techniques
- Special presentations and demonstrations – SJW faculty relate their experiences as leading artists in jazz, perform live demonstrations, and answer questions about what it’s like to study, perform, compose, and live a life in jazz
- Solo singing instruction & improvisation – daily rehearsals with a professional faculty piano trio directed by vocal faculty
- Private lessons – every student receives a private lesson with SJW faculty
- Jam sessions – fun, optional playing sessions with other instrumentalist students
- Afternoon free time – relax, practice or take part in the talent show, dorm dance, ice cream social, sports, arts and crafts, and jam sessions.