My favorite thing? Direct one-on-one teaching, exactly where I need to be taught and challenged in my artistic endeavors.
~ Jazz Institute participant
17 and under by audition
Prerequisite: 18 months instruction
Stanford University Campus
On-campus housing for adults;
double occupancy or single occupancy (if available)
17 and under can choose on-campus housing and meal plan, or commute from off-campus
On-campus housing for adults; single, deluxe single or double occupancy
17 and under can choose on-campus housing and meal plan or commute from off-campus
- Menu-based program: You select your classes and activities
- Classes led by world-class jazz artists and marquee faculty
- Small combo, one-on-a-part improvisation and performance
- Instrument specific and vocal master classes
- Combo placement by experience
- Jazz theory, applied theory, reharmonization and musicianship classes for ear training
- Special presentations
- Daily extended combo rehearsals
- Free admission to nightly Stanford Jazz Festival concerts and CoHo jams
- Organized nightly jam sessions
- Piano trio and guitar trio program
- Showcase performance Thursday evening at Stanford University (details will be provided)
The Stanford Jazz Institute offers a six-day-long intensive interaction with jazz legends, top professionals, gifted educators, and motivated students from around the world. Students choose their own classes from a curriculum that focuses on improvisation and includes small ensemble playing and masterclasses, as well as classes in a variety of topics such as theory, musicianship, arranging, Afro-Latin jazz, and more. Unique to the Jazz Institute are the Special Presentations given by artist faculty on topics in which they specialize or have particular experience. Admission to nightly Stanford Jazz Festival performances is included, and there are several jam sessions each evening.
Ideal for adult jazz players at all levels, the Jazz Institute provides a high-quality introduction to improvisation for non-improvising students, as well as an intensive experience for intermediate and advanced musicians and professionals. Tailored to serve a variety of needs, the Jazz Institute is perfect for musicians from other musical genres looking to gain experience, educators who want to hone their jazz skills for teaching and performance, and those just looking to reconnect with music. For those who want to learn but not participate as players, the Jazz Institute welcomes auditors as well.
For young musicians with advanced jazz experience, the Jazz Institute features a fantastic immersion experience. SJW’s inter-generational approach gives unparalleled access to some of the greatest jazz musicians in the world, so young players can learn directly from living legends, touring artists, and recording pros. Some classes, combos, and other activities may mix participants of all ages, which enhances the learning experience for all.