“The vocal program rocked my world. I learned so much my head is spinning!”
~ Vocal Institute Participant
Adults and Advanced Young Singers Under 17
Prerequisite: 18 months instruction
July 26 – 31, 2020
Stanford University Campus
stay on campus or commute from off-campus
meal plan available for minors who stay on campus
- Immerse yourself in the fine art of Jazz Singing
- Sing with a professional trio
- Led by world-class jazz artists and educators
- Students explore their own unique vocal style
- An opportunity to work with a professional trio
- Scat Lab
- Daily theory class for vocalists
- Nightly jam sessions
- Student performance on Thurs night
- Shed with Dan
- Daily Master classes focusing on:
– Improvisation with lyrics
– De-mystify scatting
– Rubato singing
– How to communicate with a band
– How to practice
– Unravel the mystery of phrasing
– How to bring a ballad to life
– Ways to spark your creativity
– Creating your own arrangements
– The business of music
$1,540 for returning students if enrolled by March 1, 2020
Housing and meals for ages 17 and under: $990 per week
Housing for adults, double occupancy, no meals: $695
The Jazz Institute Vocal Program is a joyous program designed for amateur and professional-level adult singers, and highly advanced young singers. The program focuses primarily on solo jazz singing. The highlights include:
THEORY: A daily theory class tailored specifically for vocalists focusing on chart writing, chart reading, and general theory. We also off beginning, intermediate, and advanced jazz
DAILY MASTERCLASS: We’ll explore a variety of topics including:
- Improvisation with lyrics
- De-mystify scatting
- Rubato singing
- How to communicate with a band
- How to practice
- Unravel the mystery of phrasing
- How to bring a ballad to life
- Ways to spark your creativity
- Creating your own arrangements
- The business of music
SINGING WITH A TRIO: Each day you’ll have an opportunity to work with a professional trio.
SHED WITH DAN: Each singer has a half-hour private session with pianist Dan Zemelman where you can work on anything you want: endings, practice tunes, find keys, ask questions or just sing sing sing!
DAILY SPECIALS: Daily presentations by world-class SJW faculty include Latin rhythms and percussion, the business of music, creating your own book of charts, songwriting, improvising, stage presence, and more.
LECTURES: Visiting international artists talk about their experiences in jazz.
JAM: Nightly jam sessions for vocalists led by SJW faculty.
PERFORMANCE: Vocalist & Trio have an optional performance on Thursday evening. Your friends and family are encouraged to come!
Sing Like a Horn Program
The Vocal Program offers a special Track for a limited number of interested advance singers. It’s taken in conjunction with the regular Vocal Program so you won’t miss anything! The Sing Like A Horn program integrates vocalists into the student instrumental combos. You’ll be singing wordlessly (like a horn) with the horn section. You’ll learn to read and create arrangements, improvise solos, and experience the thrill of singing with the other horns.
Prerequisite: An advanced sense of jazz harmony, some soloing skills, and some sight-singing skills.
By audition only on first day of camp.