It’s an amazing opportunity to study from the greats, in a place where inspiration and electricity abound.
~ Jazz Institute participant
Ages 12 – 17, by Audition
Prerequisite: 18 months instruction
July 21 – August 2, 2024
Stanford University Campus
On-campus housing with included meal plan available, or commute from off-campus
- Curriculum advances as students advance, no repeated content
- Classes led by world-class jazz artists and marquee faculty
- Jazz Camp structure in first week; Jazz Institute professional focus in second week
- Exclusive content during first week and on Saturday between the two weeks
- Small combo, one-on-a-part improvisation and performance
- Instrument-specific and vocal masterclasses
- Jazz theory, applied theory and many other classes
- One private lesson during first week
- Daily combo rehearsals led by some of the best jazz artists and educators in the world
- Free admission to nightly Stanford Jazz Festival concerts
- Showcase performances on Fridays
HOUSING AND MEALS FOR TWO WEEKS: $1,990
Ifyou’re looking for an advanced jazz experience to challenge you to reach new levels of jazz playing, SJW’s two-week Advanced Package program is for you. A 13-day immersion with motivated students from around the world, the Advanced Package takes an inter-generational approach that gives unparalleled access to some of the greatest jazz musicians performing today, so young players like you can learn directly from living legends, touring artists, and recording pros.
During the first week, the curriculum is structured and participants follow a special schedule based on their needs and skill as a jazz musician. During the second week, you can choose your own classes from a curriculum that focuses on improvisation and includes small ensemble playing, masterclasses, and performance opportunities, as well as classes in theory, musicianship, arranging, jazz history, and more. Admission to nightly Stanford Jazz Festival performances is included, and there are several jam sessions each evening.
Advanced Package Classes and Activities:
- Jazz theory – focuses on harmony, song forms, scales, and advanced concepts
- Musicianship – focuses on ear training and rhythm exercises
- Masterclass – virtuoso faculty members teach advanced techniques
- Special presentations and demonstrations – SJW faculty relate their experiences as leading artists in jazz, perform live demonstrations, and answer questions about what it’s like to study, perform, compose, and live a life in jazz
- Small ensembles / combos – daily rehearsals in small combos directed by faculty artists
- Private lessons – every student receives a private lesson with SJW faculty
- Jam sessions – fun, optional playing sessions with other students and faculty
- Afternoon free time – relax, practice or take part in the talent show, dorm dance, ice cream social, sports, arts and crafts, and jam sessions.