My daughter said all the teachers are amazing, super supportive of students learning jazz for the first time.
~ Jazz Camp parent
Middle School Instrumentalists
- Auditions are in person, and will be scheduled for August 25 – 28
- Concurrent enrollment in school music program required
Nine weekday evenings from 6:45 – 8:45 p.m.
Performance at Stanford University.
- Weekly big band rehearsals, with regular improvisation instruction
- Directed by top jazz educators
- Weekly master classes with SJW instrumental faculty
- Showcase performances in November and December
Giant Steps Big Band
Directed by some of the top middle school jazz educators in the Bay Area, the Giant Steps Big Bands offer an exciting way for young musicians to improve their jazz skills faster than they ever thought could be possible!
Each band meets weekly to work on fun jazz music, to learn to perform jazz styles, to improve their instrumental skills, and to learn how to improvise. During each rehearsal, students receive additional instruction from an SJW faculty member with particular expertise.
Giant Steps Big Bands perform at least once per semester.
The Giant Steps Big Band program continues in the Spring semester. Usually, Giant Steps Big Band participants commit to the band for the entire school year. There is an additional registration process for the Spring.
Giant Steps Big Band North, directed by Dave Gregoric
meets Wednesday evenings, 6:45 – 8:15 p.m.
first meeting September 7, 2022