The entire experience was wonderful! She had a great time learning music and making new friends. Thank you!
~ Giant Steps Day Camp parent
For middle school musicians (including those entering middle school in fall of 2024)
Prerequisite: 12 months of classroom or private instruction
July 8 – 12, 2024
9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Stanford University Campus
Supervised late pick-up option
- Tailored to experience and ability
- Led by world-class jazz artists and educators
- Big band, small ensemble, vocal ensemble
- Beginning improvisation
- Jazz styles
- Instrumental and vocal technique
- Showcase performances on Friday
Giant Steps Day Camp
Thissummer day program is perfect for young musicians who are curious about jazz as well as those who have played some jazz in school or with their private teacher. Directed by educators who specialize in middle school jazz education, Giant Steps Day Camp is packed with musical activities that develop creativity, emphasize good instrumental and vocal skills, and build a solid foundation in jazz styles — an excellent preparation for playing in your school big band or combo!
Each young musician will be involved in a variety of activities that emphasize the fundamentals of good musicianship while introducing concepts of jazz phrasing, articulation, and improvisation. Daily master classes give students instruction on their own instruments or voice type, focusing on good tone production and technique.
All the campers exercise their creativity through soloing and improvising in a small ensemble, and they’ll experience the excitement of large ensemble jazz, too — every day of camp!
Giant Steps Day Camp is open to all instruments, including violin, flute, cello, clarinet, guitar, piano, and voice — as well as the common jazz instruments such as saxophone, trumpet, trombone, bass, and drums. It’s the perfect place to learn and improve while meeting like-minded young musicians from all around the Bay Area.
A typical day at Giant Steps Day Camp:
- 9:00 a.m. All-camp meeting
- 9:30 a.m. Masterclass and music theory
- 10:15 a.m. Ensemble period 1, either small or large band
- 11:45 a.m. Lunch and outdoor activities
- 12:45 p.m. Faculty band concert
- 1:30 p.m. Ensemble period 2, either small or large band
- 3:00 p.m. End of the day!