My daughter said all the teachers are amazing, super supportive of students learning jazz for the first time.
~ Jazz Camp parent
High School Instrumentalists
- Concurrent enrollment in school music program required
- Audition required
- Rehearsals begin the first week of September
- Two locations: Wednesdays at College of San Mateo and Thursdays at Central Middle School in San Carlos
Ten Wednesday evenings from 7:00 – 9:30 pm at College of San Mateo, San Mateo
or ten Thursday evenings from 7:00 – 9:30 pm at Central Middle School, San Carlos
Rehearsals begin the first week of September.
Performances to be announced. Rehearsal dates subject to change pending rehearsal location availability.
Participation requires commitment to attend all ten rehearsals and all scheduled performances.
(Limited need-based financial aid is available. Please contact [email protected] for more information.)
- Weekly big band rehearsals
- Jazz performance, improvisation, and repertoire
- Performance opportunities
- Showcase performance in Dinkelspiel Auditorium at Stanford University
Miles Ahead Big Band
Directed by award-winning jazz educators Mike Galisatus and Kristen Strom, the Miles Ahead Big Bands features many of the top high school jazz musicians in the Bay Area. The Miles Ahead Big Band received national attention by placing in the top three bands in the High School Conglomerate Big Band Division at the prestigious Next Generation Jazz Festival. The band has also won Outstanding Performance awards in DownBeat Magazine two years consecutively. They’ve also performed at the Stanford Jazz Festival!
Miles Ahead Big Band, directed by Mike Galisatus
meets Wednesday evenings, 7:00 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.
College of San Mateo, San Mateo, CA
Miles Ahead Big Band, directed by Kristen Strom
meets Thursday evenings, 7:00 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.
Central Middle School, San Carlos, CA