Placement recordings, audition recordings, and theory placement evaluations
Placement and audition procedures have been updated for 2020. See details below for how to prepare for next summer!
PLACEMENT RECORDINGS are required of all summer program participants.
Have a couple years of experience with jazz improvisation?
Don’t have much experience with improvisation yet?
- All instrumentalists registered for SJW Jazz Camp Online, Jazz Camp, the Jazz Camp Package, the Jazz Camp Advanced Package, and Jazz Institute must submit Placement recordings. Our faculty will use these recordings to assess your level of experience playing jazz and create a class schedule that will give you the information and experience you need to take your playing to the next level.
Deadlines to submit your placement recording will be determined individually. SJW accepts registrations for all programs until the start date of each program.
MUSIC THEORY PLACEMENT evaluations are required for all Full-day SJW Jazz Camp Online participants — not required for Half-day participants
- For appropriate placement in jazz music theory classes during Jazz Camp, we require all Full-day participants for SJW Jazz Camp Online to take an online music theory evaluation. Click here to take the online music theory evaluation.
The theory evaluation should take about 20 minutes. It’s not a contest – just a way for our faculty to assess what you already know and what you need to learn next. Please don’t look for information or help online or in theory books while completing the evaluation, since this can lead to inaccurate class placement. If you’re unfamiliar with these topics, just do the best you can and don’t worry. Coming to Jazz Camp will enable you to learn more!
The theory placement evaluation will cover the following topics:
- Note and rhythm identification
- Major scales and key signatures
- Seventh chords
- Modal and non-major scales
- Chord function and progressions
Questions? Please don’t hesitate to contact our Camp Director, Steven Lugerner, at x309 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.