Jazz Day Camp, Jazz Camp, Jazz Institute & Evening Jazz Classes
The Stanford Jazz Workshop summer jazz immersion programs are held on the beautiful campus of Stanford University, and are taught by the world’s great jazz performers and educators. Below you can find information about our educational programs, and to the right are useful links to our registration tools.
Want help deciding which SJW program is best for your young musician?
- Giant Steps Day Camp for middle school students offers a fun week of learning jazz styles and improvisation in big band and small group settings. No audition is required for admission, but students will be evaluated in advance to determine class placement.
- Jazz Camp is for musicians aged 12 - 17, and provides a fun, encouraging environment in which to get immersed in jazz improvisation and combo playing. No audition is required for admission, but students will be evaluated in advance to determine class placement.
- 2-Week Jazz Comprehensive provides 13 days of structured instruction in jazz improvisation, jazz performance, and instrumental and vocal mastery. No audition is required for admission, but students will be evaluated in advance to determine class placement.
- Jazz Institute gives instrumentalists and vocalists a chance to work with the greatest jazz artists of our time. Auditions are required only for first-time applicants to the Vocal Program and for first-time instrumental applicants aged 17 or younger. All students will be evaluated in advance for class placement.
- 2-Week Jazz Advanced Intensive for experienced high school musicians offers the best of both worlds: the structured curriculum of Jazz Camp and direct contact with the top jazz artists at the Jazz Institute. Auditions are required.
- Giant Steps Big Band for Middle School is perfect for young musicians who want to spend one evening per week learning to play in a big band and improvise with some of the greatest jazz educators in the business. Auditions are required for first-time applicants.
- Giant Steps Jazz Singers gives middle school singers a fantastic introduction to ensemble singing and vocal improvisation.
- Miles Ahead Improv Sessions are a great way for adults and high school students to improve their knowledge of jazz theory and take their jazz improvisation to a new level.